Saturday 21 March 2009

Who Says Drifters Don't Win?

I have said on many occasions that I don't pay too much attention to the market when my selections drift and today is an example of why that is the case. If you go by the market, especially the exchange, then Sgt Schultz had no chance, but my form analysis said different and I was rewarded, yet again, for using best odds guaranteed bookmakers.

My selection in the Winter Derby was completely carved up by "Team Brittain". Whether or not Suits Me would have gone close with a clear run is open to debate and it changes nothing to moan about it, so I won't. All I will say is that my reasoning for backing Suits Me was partly because I thought it would enjoy a trouble-free passage. Not for one minute did I envisage him being trapped on the rail the way he was by Kandidate.

Any disappointment I felt with the way my first selection finished its race was to become a distant memory after Sgt Schultz got up on the line to land the spoils. No doubt some will say I was lucky with this one, but if you remember, it wasn't that long ago I had a 10/1 shot chinned on the line. My view is that you ultimately get what you deserve in the long term. Some you win, some you lose, but my over riding belief in the selective approach remains the same. If you have ability and work hard then you will succeed, it's as simple as that.

As this week draws to a close it's fantastic to report another bumper week. On the aw account the strike rate remains high and the profits achieved so far are exceptional. Overall I've won just short of £3,000 this week and the best part of £11,000 in the last four weeks. Long may it continue but I know we'll have plenty of ups and downs before the year is out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mick,
A lot of people make the mistake of saying drifters never win and it’s simply not true… My entire betting philosophy revolves around value – and a great way of getting value is via drifters ! However, there are occasions, when I wouldn’t touch a drifter with a barge pole… Classically these are horses from certain stables (I think we could all cite examples of these !) and horses returning from long absences or documented problems. There was no ‘real’ reason why your horse should drift today: it had reliable connections and was known to be fit: the market just took against it (as happens quite often). I always look to exploit situations such as these (it was available at 10 on BF) – in essence, this is where my edge lies…
So the next time someone tells you drifters don’t win – make sure you clarify the statement for them !!
A

Anonymous said...

Andrew,

You are right in what you say. I just wanted to make the point as I hear this nonsense all the time. Looking at my results I think you'll find my biggest profits have come when I've had bigger bets on guess what? Yes, a couple of drifters. It all comes down to having absolute trust and faith in your own ability and for me (and I'm sure you and one or two others I could but won't name) I prefer mine to drift as it means a bigger payday when they win.

Cheers

Mick

Managed Risk said...

Greetings,

Very nice blog..enjoy your cery informative analysis.

All the best.