Monday 30 March 2009

Monday At Wolverhampton

There's an interesting race at Lingfield today where punters seem to be siding with Murrin, currently around 11/4. It wouldn't be my pick, but since I'm not getting involved in the race at all (only 7 due to go to post) I'll keep my thoughts to myself for a change.

I have had a good look at one race at Wolverhampton, the 9.5 furlong Handicap due to go off at 450pm. I started off thinking I'd side with one of the front two in the market. Between them they've won or finished 2nd in their last 5 races. You have to respect their chances but they're constantly going up the handicap and there comes a point when you have to oppose these types. I wouldn't oppose them just for the sake of it, but I do think I've found one with a realistic chance and at a value price. Taking out the front two in the market, there are still two or three others which look well handicapped although possibly not currently in the best of form. All in all this is quite a tough race and not the sort of contest I usually get involved in. However, my selection comes here in decent enough form and looks on a fair mark. He won his maiden on the track racing off a mark of 66 and last time out put in a c and d performance on the clock at least as good, if not better than anything any of todays rivals have achieved (over c and d). Today he's racing off 65 which hopefully will enable him to at least be in the shake-up. Since it is a tough race with one or two unexposed runners over todays c and d I make the selection at least a 6/1 shot and therefore a bet at the odds avaialble.

450 Wolverhampton - WATSON'S BAY 1 point each way at 12/1 (Stan James BOG, Bet Fred, Blue Square and SkyBet)

Some of you may remember the trainer / jockey partnership combining to provide me with a 20/1 winner back in January. Whilst they may not look to be in great recent form, they still have a 67% strike rate this season at the venue. Hopefully that will be improved upon this afternoon.

3 comments:

TO said...

Watson's Bay ran a good race and slightly unlucky not to get a touch closer after being behind a wall of horses turning into the home straight. Well backed, travelled like a big chance and ran to the line. Good selection.

Regards,
Jason

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,

Yes I think it ran well enough. Of course I'd like it to have won but even my idea of the right price (6/1) made it odds against to place. I'd take being on these types at 12/1 all day every day.

TO said...

Yes, certainly. You don't need many 12/1 shots to win to be well in profit, let alone the place odds stacking up. That is my idea of a good bet.

Regards,
Jason