Thursday 26 March 2009

An Opportunity?

I had planned to have at least one selection this evening at Wolverhampton. As usual I have put in the hours of study and analysis. No doubt some will think I spend far too long working through races, but the approach works for me and I think the only likely outcome of cutting corners is a kick in the teeth from the gambling gods and I don't like the sound of that!

I have looked at two races in particular and I came up with what what I thought was really solid looking each way bet in the first race on the card, the 9.5 furlong Handicap. I made my "selection" a 4/1 shot, therefore I'd need at least 5/1 if I'm going to place a bet. Looking at the RP forecast of 11/2 I didn't anticipate a problem, until I looked at oddschecker to find the horse priced up at 15/8!!! At that price I'm obviously not going to be tempted. Out of curiousity I looked through the betting patterns for the day to see it was only ever a best-priced 7/2, so at no stage would I have got involved with the horse. This goes down as one I'm happy to let run. If it wins, then so be it. If it gets beat, then we've dodged a bullet. Either way, I believe I've done the right thing. Only through putting in the time and effort can I come up with my own prices for horses I fancy. That then enables me to calculate the value price I need in order to have a bet and as we all know, value is the key to success. By not playing when there is no value I will avoid losers. In the same way, by playing when there is excellent value I will maximise profits, especially by also taking advantage of concessions like best odds guaranteed.

So another blank day as far as we are concerned on the blog. I'm pleased to report that one of our experts has come up with a couple of winners in the last two days to ensure the profit figure continues to grow, but overall it has been a quiet week. We are happy enough to wait for the right opportunities, we believe we're far better off sitting out than hammering away for the sake of it as some seem to. Good luck to them but that's not our style. Some interesting cards, aw and nh, tomorrow so once again we'll wait and see what the future brings.

No comments: