Saturday 14 March 2009

Top Racing, Top Tipping And Top Profits

I think the headline sums up the week. It's been one of the best I can remember and I am convinced that the reason for that is simple - being selective.

I know lots of punters like to bet like lunatics, on almost every race, when meetings like the Cheltenham Festival come around, but my nh experts maintained their normal selective approach. I am delighted to say that their performance was mirrored by me on the all weather in respect of both being selective and profitable. So far this week I've had four bets and we've managed to find two winners. It doesn't get much better than that, with the winners paid out at 7/1 and 11/2.

Three weeks ago I was something like 40 points down on the year even though we'd kept things simple and worked to the same selective plan. I think we'd been a bit unlucky with one of my nh advisors in particular putting up selections which fell when looking sure to be in the shake up. Not to worry, you have to take these things on the chin and believe in what you're doing, trust your sources and stick to the plan. I did that and I'm now 133 points in front, having won 173 points during that three week period.

The last week alone has generated a profit on my account of 85 points. If ever there was a vindication for remaining selective, even when tempted with meetings like the Festival, then these profits are it. Nobody will ever convince me that having loads of bets, even during meetings like Cheltenham, is the right approach. I go back to my core belief which is that as punters the biggest single advantage we have over the bookmakers is that we can choose when to play and when to sit out and watch. Chucking bets around like confetti throws away our advantage in my opinion. I know some punters think they have to bet because it's the Festival and they're getting good prices on their selections, but the fact is that every horse is trying and some of the races are extremely tough.

I know this upturn in profits will not be maintained at the rate which has been achieved this week, but I do believe that I'm on the road to where I want to be at the end of the year. I'm off to check out todays card at Lingfield. Any selections will be posted by around 12 noon.

No comments: