Friday 27 March 2009

It Pays To Wait!!!!

I mentioned earlier that I was keen on one or two this afternoon but there were concerns regarding both the price and the possibility of a non runner....Well I'm afraid to say that there has been a withdrawal in the race and consequently the terms are now most unfavourable and I have to just let the horse run. The horse I was keen on last night was FONT in the 3.55 Fontwell and I made this a 3/1 chance in my book. It was available at 9/2 in places this morning and I would have been prepared to put this up as an ew bet if I could have achieved a minimum of 4/1. There were the dead eight runners declared and I noticed that Swordsman had another option of running in the 5.15 Ascot, so there was no way I could have got involved earlier on. Swordsman has since been taken out (it was well backed this morning for the Fontwell race)and on top of that FONT was supported all morning and is now generally an 11/4 shot, so makes no appeal at the price. Obviously the price and the NR make absolutely no difference to the way FONT will run today, but this game is all about finding the right opportunities and I'm not remotely interested in getting involved now.

The other runner I was keen on last night was French Saulaie in the 2.55 Ascot and I thought this would be nearer a 6/4 chance. There are a few reasons why I can't get involved with this today despite it being available at 5/2 in a few places, and these are enough to put me off. If I'm backing horses win only and at these types of prices I want everything in my favour and unfortunately whilst I think it has easily the best form in the book and receives weight from most of its rivals (the yard is also bang in form), its been a beaten favourite 4 times now in 7 attempts over fences and doesn't appear to be the most natural fencer either. This could well win very easily but I'm happy to watch and learn for the future, although I may try and trade a few quid on it on Betfair, as I think it may trade shorter IR.

Good luck if you're playing today!

No comments: