Tuesday 24 March 2009

Changes For The Better

Today was a bit of a learning curve for me. I think I've sussed that it's not easy trying to respond to emails and messages while out on the road. Hopefully today won't be repeated too much in future.

In a number of my previous posts I have highlighted the fact that I work with other people and that we each have our own areas of expertise. Some of the experts run services and I pay them for their advice, which is fair enough. However, there is one guy who does not charge me a penny. We actually work together and have formed a partnership of sorts over the last few weeks. We think along the same lines with regards to analysis and we both prefer the selective approach to betting. Recently Gareth has started providing me with his nh selections and in return I provide him with my thoughts and selections on the aw racing. I see this as being a mutually beneficial relationship and I am also pleased to say that he has agreed to post his analysis and selections on this blog from now on. The eagle-eyed amongst you may have spotted his selections so far this year on the right hand side of the blog, beneath mine of course (for now)! Whilst the current profit figure for his selections may not seem anything out of the ordinary I would say two things. Firstly, it is very early days and secondly, if one selection had not fallen at the last he would probably be 10+ points up already. As we all know luck will even out over the long term and I have no doubt his selections will show a decent profit by the time the year is up. I'm sure I'm not alone in being impressed by the number of his selections which have run great races. In getting some sort of return on the vast majority of his selections he has my seal of approval anyway. Apart from posting his selections and analysis on here, Gareth will also help out by posting my selections when I am unable to do so. He actually put the post up earlier today so we know that will work fine in future.

Looking back at today I think we were almost spot on again. We opposed an odds-on favourite (which finished nowhere) and preferred two others in the race. They eventually finished first and second. I know I put the second up as a selection on my account and it effectively lost, but I also know that if I can keep finding races like this with short-priced favourites I don't like, then the long-term will be very, very profitable. Incidentally, we weren't the only people to come to the same conclusion as whilst we backed the selection this morning at 8/1 it actually went off at an incredible 3/1 sp. (And that was just a minimum stake selection!!)

So, looking forward I think things look pretty good. My aim is still to achieve in excess of 100 points profit with my selections and I'm on target to do that. I'll let Gareth post and explain what he is hoping to achieve and how he intends to do it in his own time. No doubt some of you will have questions you want to ask him and I'm sure he's looking forward to answering them. If some of you want to just keep following my selections, then you can. If others want to follow both of our selections (and that's what we do) then feel free, welcome aboard, enjoy the ride!

I'm off to have a look at the aw cards for tomorrow.

3 comments:

TO said...

Hi Mick & Gareth,
I like your joining of minds. It says a lots that you can appreciate and respect each others views, which shows objectiveness, a quality few gamblers/bloggers possess. I had a look at your selection today. Like you say, it was a good bet with the favourite disappointing as you anticipated.

Look forward to hearing from both of you in the future.

Regards,
Jason

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,
Glad you're enjoying the blog and hopefully we can continue to hit a few winners, although we only tend to play when there is a significant edge and as you probably know these don't come around every day!!! I was looking at your blog earlier and it looks really interesting and you obviously look at the game in a similar way to us, so maybe we could exchange blog links?

All the best and good luck with the 2 year olds!!

Gags

TO said...

Hi there,
Yes I like the selective approach myself.

I'm interested in exchanging links, too. I will do that now. Here's my blog address: http://highclassequine.blogspot.com/

Regards,
Jason