Thursday 2 April 2009

Mistakes Cost Us

Whenever you make mistakes it will cost you and that's fair enough I suppose. Today Gags selection made a mistake late on which I thought cost the horse a chance of winning. Gags view was that the winner would have stayed on and won regardless, so two slightly different opinions from two people watching the same race. Of course the game is all about opinions and you don't have to be right that often to make it a profitable game to play as long as you play with value on your side.

Unfortunately the mistake made by Mighty Man today was a small one compared to the cock-ups I've made in the last couple of days. Looking at the selections as they appear on the right it looks like a pretty quiet week so far with just two bets between the two of us. Yes they both placed and yes they've both generated a profit for us, but this week could have been so much better. I'm not talking about Cold Turkey, backed by us at 4/1 and smashed in to 2/1 before being pulled out of the race. There's nothing anyone can do about that and it costs us nothing anyway. The same day Cold Turkey didn't run at Lingfield I fancied one at Kempton in the evening. We'd backed Cross The Line each way at decent prices last time out when it just got done in a photo. In this race at Kempton it was at the front end of the betting but I reckoned two rivals would finish in front of it. I said as much to Gags, something along the lines of "I expect Pegasus Again to race prominently and finish in front of Cross The Line. But I reckon Marajaa could nail that one close home as long as it doesn't meet too much trouble in running." We discussed the race and agreed that if Marajaa was 4/1 or bigger we'd back it each way. In the Racing Post my "selection" was forecast at a much bigger price so we thought 4/1 or bigger would be easy enough to obtain. When I looked at oddschecker I couldn't believe it, the horse was 5/2 from 11/4. At that point I decided we'd leave it alone. No way were we getting involved at those odds and with the potential of a non-runner leaving the race with just seven, and then of course there was also the luck in running issue. I didn't think any more about the race until after the event when Gags called me to say he'd just flicked on RUK and seen a replay of the race. You can imagine how we felt, not when we saw the horse had won, but when we saw the starting price of 7/1. A minimum stake each way bet with a best odds guaranteed bookie would have added over £800 to the bottom line. I'm not saying we'd have waited for 7/1, of course not, but if I'd had the common sense to check the betting before the off we'd have definitely backed it once it reached 4/1 and since 99% of our betting is done with bog bookies, well we'd have done very nicely out of it.

So that mistake cost us as we didn't have a penny on. That brings us to my next cock-up. Last night Gags had two selections lined up for today. We backed Mighty Man and sent out the text messages and emails to those who have asked to be on the distribution list. We explained that there might be another selection sent out this morning but that it would depend upon prices. In the end I sent out a message this morning and as anyone on the list will confirm it said "235 Aintree Walkon 2 points each way at 3/1 or bigger". I know some people have backed this cosy winner anyway, regardless of the required price not being achieved, but it just goes to show that form study and race analysis are not enough on their own. You have to make the right decisions and be in a position to take advantage when circumstances change and opportunities arise.

Someone once said "it's okay to make mistakes, just don't keep making the same ones!" Hopefully that's me done for a while, either that or I'll let Gags decide in future on his own what prices we're playing at!

The positive spin on this is that at least we know our analysis is still spot on. If that continues and I don't get in the way then we should continue to make a good few quid.

There is nothing on the aw for me tomorrow. I think Gags may have another selection for Aintree. If so he'll post on here by about mid-day tomorrow, if not earlier.

11 comments:

leathehat said...

great selections today lads, a bit unlucky with might man but at least we didnt lose. I was sorely tempted to back walkon but i remebered your words of selctive betting and wait until 3 to 1 so i reisited, its always a sickener when they win, but it could have easily been beat. I sent you a text with some teams on, hope you seen it, the only team to let me down was italy with an 89min equilizer for ireland. Staggering.

keep up the good work and the break will come hopefully when were all lumped on.

speak soon

Lea

Anonymous said...

Hi Lea

Todays selections were entirely down to Gags mate, nothing to do with me, so he takes the credit. All I did was have an input with regards to what prices to advise them at as bets!!!!

By all means email Gags any footie bets, I think he still has the odd bet on other stuff. Personally I pretty much stick to the horses now with just the odd bet on the golf.

We're both doing really well and are miles in front on the year, partly thanks to the services we use and partly as a result of our own bets.

Cheers

Mick

Anonymous said...

mighty man was a no brainer today, and unlucky not to do better. I sent Gags an email with my selections for today at Aintree to pass onto you which did ok with a couple of decent e/w placings, will do the same again tomorrow.

Nick

Gags said...

Lea,

I was so disappointed today, more with myself than anything, as Walkon was a massive standout in my book! I realise everybody has different perceptions of this game and I know that we don't all have access to every bookmaker, but I have to confess that Walkon should have gone on the account today and it goes down as another that got away! I dropped a friend of mine an email the other week explaining how I would be all over it at Aintree as everybody would have the misconception that Starluck would reverse the form, and today categorically proved my point! Aintree is a flat track but it still requires a horse who has a deal of stamina and anybody who did their homework would have realised that the time the Triumph was won in, was in keeping with the last 4 runnnings of this race.

I couldn't see how, or why, Starluck would reverse the form and even more incredibly I couldn't understand how Hebridean could reverse the form on 7lb worse terms for an 18 length beating, regardless of track and ground. I apologise that the bet came with a proviso (which wasn't achieved) but I hope a few of you got stuck into it anyway and enjoyed a profitable day!

I had a great day down at Aintree and would recommend the Thursday to anyone who likes a day at the races!!!

Lets hope I can find a decent winner tomorrow!!

Gags

leathehat said...

hey gags.

make no apolgies mate. we didnt lose, actually made a small profit. there will be a few more that slip through the net, like shearer said in his press conference, whats dones done, lets focus on what we can do!!!

lets hope were talking winners tommorow evening, but if were not dont worry Shearer is back

all the best mate

leathehat said...

hey gags.

make no apolgies mate. we didnt lose, actually made a small profit. there will be a few more that slip through the net, like shearer said in his press conference, whats dones done, lets focus on what we can do!!!

lets hope were talking winners tommorow evening, but if were not dont worry Shearer is back :)

all the best mate

Anonymous said...

Good call from both bets today, the first was unlucky in my view and gags called the race perfectly. and walkon, well that hacked up! but as you know you have to play when the price is right and if that means missing the odd winner? then so be it. its long term that counts and not the emotion of missing a winner on a good days racing.

Anonymous said...

Ironhorse

I totally agree about the long-term and value mate. The disappointing thing for me personally is that Gags was originally going to go 3 points win on Walkon at 11/4 and only changed his mind after discussing with me. My cautious nature hopefully will prevent us backing more losers than winners in the long-term, but yesterday Gags was proved right and I felt pissed off as much for the change it would have meant to his account on here as anything.

Cheers

Mick

Talkbet said...

Nice blog lads, just to let you know I'm following you keenly now as well :o)
Is there a distribution list I could join to get an email eacch day then ?

gazza said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gags said...

Guys,

Many thanks for the positive responses and anybody who has asked to be added to the list has been.

I have had to remove one of the posts on here due to it containing the individuals personal details, which I don't really think want to be posted for the publics view. If anybody does require adding to the amail/text list please send me an email rather than posting a comment up.

Regards

Gags