Monday 13 April 2009

Luck Of The Irish And A Sign Of Things To Come....

As I said a few days ago, my good lady has skipped off to Ireland with our daughter for a few days, leaving me to fend for myself. Earlier today she called me, not to say how much they were both missing me, but to ask what I thought would win the Irish National! Not really my thing, but with numerous relatives desperate for one to back I had a quick look and sent a text over saying "I've not had a proper look but you might get some fun at huge prices out of Church Island and Rebel Chief." I then had to have a few quid on for myself. I would never have forgiven myself if either had won and I'd made nothing while the Irish side of the family celebrated courtesy of my advice. I backed both on the exchanges, the one that matters at better than 90/1. In the end I traded off and won in excess of £700 on the race, not bad for a throw away bet I would never have had if it weren't for the call from the wife!

It gets even better though. As there was no all weather racing today I had a look at a couple of the turf races, just to get my eye in. I liked the 550 at Warwick because despite the numbers a lot of the runners could be ignored over the trip of 11 furlongs. I ended up liking the look of the eventual favourite, Jackie Kiely and Sagent, with a preference for the last pair. I had already backed JK on the advice of Graeme over at www.theformanalyst.com (hope you like the plug G) so I then decided to have a few quid on Sagent and the reverse forecast as well. Sagent flashed home late to get up on the line at 16/1 and JK met all sorts of trouble in running, eventually finishing unplaced. So whilst I've not had a "proper" bet today I have made a few quid and the signs look good for the turf flat season!

2 comments:

Graeme Dand said...

Hi Mick.

Nice to hear you had a very profitable day mate.

Thanks for the plug! Being honest, the fact you put the horse up in the forum is a better plug for the forum than for the tips from me! You've referred to the private forum a few times where you met Gags and I think it's a great advert for why I have a forum at the site. The past 6 weeks in the forum has been phenomenal as you know and I think that by following the selections posted in there by every member, we'd be at least 200 points better off but like you, I've not backed too many due to being a little more selective with my betting.

I know a few of the members have caught some of the winners though and I think it adds great value to what we've tried to do with the forum and yourself and Gags are obviously a big part of that. We're now approaching 7,000 posts in the forum and considering it only started in Oct-08, it's a great advert and as I've said before, I think it's the most knowledgeable horse-racing forum I've ever been associated with. We now nearly have more tipsters than subscribers at the site (lol), so I can only see it improving over time.

Good luck for this week.

Graeme

Anonymous said...

Morning G,

As I said it was after I'd already posted up saying "no bet today" that I really looked at the race properly. If I could have been sure that the horse would run up to form then obviously I would have backed it properly, sent it out via text and posted it on here. As it was I made a few quid on the day and a few people get to see that my methods work on grass as well as sand!

You're right about your forum, it's got a buzz back now and that of course comes from having a few winners, but just as importantly a few people who know what they're doing. The hard part is collating all the info from everywhere and deciding what to do with it, but we're getting there.

More tipsters than subscribers - lol. Should be one hell of a profitable place to be then (another plug).

Cheers
Mick