Friday 31 July 2009

Nothing Strong Enough Today.....

I thought todays card were quite difficult and whilst I expect one or two horses to run quite well there are enough reasons for not getting involved with them today.

As I have already mentioned I try and avoid Goodwood whenever possible however I do like the chances of Safari Sunrise in the 2.45 today. I has a few quid on at a decent price on Sunday and it showed a tremendous turn of foot in coming from last to first indside the last two furlongs. When you consider that it was checked in its run and still won a shade cosily, it might be able to defy the penalty today. This seasons emerging talent Freddie Tylicki again takes the ride and you really are getting a 3lb pull when he is in the saddle. The horse is still well treated on some of its old form and from stall 14 I think it could go close......only my dislike of Goodwood prevents me from getting involved!!

Over at Bangor another horse which I am watching closely is Danny Zuko, and after running on surfaces which were too soft, it finally gets a nice fast surface to run on today. Last time out I mentioned it as one to watch and it was still going ok and would probably have finished second before all but falling at the last fence at Cartmel. Today it returns to a course where it has winning hurdles form and I think this could run better than the 7/1 odds sugget. Two things put me off today, I would have preferred to see Jason Maguire on it and not the 7lb claimer, and also the presence of a potential handicap good thing of Jonjo O'Neills, which makes its chase debut.

Finally a little mention for a mate of mines horse, Word of Warning which runs in the 3.40 Bangor. This horse has definitely got a race in him and was fancied last time before the torrential rain in Perth put paid to its chances. Today it has the fast ground that it needs and I think a big run is expected. The Vaughan yard has a potential party spoiler though in the shape of Zafar who makes its debut for the ayrd today and the from of its latest run in Ireland has been franked several times and you get the impression that there is more to come.

A good days racing but unfoirtunately nothing really strong enough to get too heavily involved in.

I'll be back tomorrow with my thoughts.

No comments: