Sunday 12 July 2009

Always Look On The Bright Side...........

This last week has possibly been one of the worst I have had the misfortune to suffer in my life.

Sadly my mum passed away recently and her funeral was on Wednesday. She was a wonderful lady and we will all miss her very much. We turned her funeral into a celebration of her life as that was what she wanted. As if that wasn't hard enough to deal with, my brother's mother-in-law also passed away recently and her funeral was on Thursday. Obviously it has been a tough time for all of us on a personal level.

Professionally things don't look too great either with news coming on Thursday that up to half of the workforce will probably be made redundant in about 30 days time. Whilst this news hasn't totally surprised me it has come at a tough time and I could have done without it. I believe we will all find out in the next week or so whether our services will be required in future or if we need to find alternative ways of earning a living. I won't dwell too much on either the personal losses or the difficulties at work because that's not what the blog is supposed to be about.

So last of all we have the punting. Well yesterday was a real kick in the teeth. I picked out a couple I felt were worth backing in what time I had to study form. One ran well enough and one ran a shocker, but the real nightmare was in seeing three horses we backed last time out all win yesterday, all in similar races. Aqlaam 15/8 at Ascot, Hits Only Vic 16/1 at York and West End Lad 9/1 at Nottingham ran yesterday how we'd hoped and liked to have seen them run the time before. It just shows how fine the line is between success and failure and I guess when when things aren't going your way then this is what happens.

We will be taking a family holiday at some stage in the near future. My dad could do with a break, indeed I think we all could. Until I come back from that break I won't be putting up any more bets or posts on here. If Gags wishes to continue with things while I am away then that's fine by me, but I need to think about things a little. When I do return it may well be the case that I need to make my living from punting and if I'm going to make that work then I need to get back to to what I do best and what has always worked and made money for me. During the last few weeks there have been far too many speculative bets and that's not how I like betting or how I will be betting in future. I will be getting back to basics, much more along the lines of how things were at the start of the year.

As I've already said Gags may well continue with things while I take a break. I will speak with him later and ask him to post just so everything is clear.

For now, from me, good luck and stay healthy.

3 comments:

TO said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you.

Yours sincerely,
Jason

Anonymous said...

Mick,

sounds like you need to take a well earned rest and recharge the batteries, all the best and make sure that you come back only when you feel the time is right.

Rgds,

Nick

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you're going through it Mick. You do what's best for you and your family of course, but if you want to keep the blog and the messages going it will always be appreciated.

Take care

Chris